Hiring for this role is currently paused.
Superbloom is seeking a full-time remote Finance and Operations Manager (in US Central or Eastern Time Zones, or UK/EU in GMT Zones, with immediate availability) to help develop and manage its finances and operations. This role will report to the Executive Director.
Superbloom, previously known as Simply Secure, leverages design as a transformative practice to shift power in the tech ecosystem. We apply a holistic approach and view design as an intervention opportunity to center people and their needs. Our vision is a world where everyone has the knowledge, network, and digital tools needed to enrich their lives. Launched in 2014, Superbloom is a US 501(c)3 nonprofit design and research organization, leveraging practices from human rights, systems thinking, service design and threat modeling to help teams design technology and services that center and protect communities’ most vulnerable needs. Since 2020, we have been piloting fiscal sponsorship as a leadership development and support program, incubating emerging efforts that align with our mission.
- You have proven experience in financial management in a US nonprofit organization.
- You are adept at using web-based applications to work with a remote team both in the US and in Europe, and can help us manage our finances and processes in a scalable way.
- You have a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting principles and fund accounting.
- You have excellent analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- You have three or more years experience with Quickbooks and financial management.
- You have knowledge of multi-currency accounting and transactions.
- You have advanced knowledge of Google Workspace (Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar and Google Meet).
- You have proficiency in financial software and Microsoft Excel.
- You have the ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
Nice to Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
- CPA or other relevant certifications.
- Experience working with fiscally sponsored projects.
Financial Planning and Analysis:
- Develop and implement financial strategies that align with the organization’s mission and objectives.
- Prepare and analyze financial reports, forecasts, and budgets to support decision-making and provide insights to the leadership team.
- Collaborate with program managers to develop program budgets and ensure adherence to financial goals.
- Monitor and track budget performance, identifying variances and proposing corrective actions as needed.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and reporting standards for nonprofit organizations.
- Manage third-party bookkeeping team to ensure invoices, receipts and expense claims are processed in a timely manner and to support accurate financial reporting.
- Oversee the financial aspects of grant proposals and reports, ensuring compliance with grant requirements.
- Work closely with program managers to track grant spending and provide financial updates and invoices to grantors.
Audit and Compliance:
- Coordinate annual financial audits and liaise with external auditors.
- Ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards, tax regulations, and nonprofit financial reporting requirements.
- Assist with quarterly and annual financial review.
Cash Flow Management:
- Manage cash flow to ensure the organization’s financial stability and liquidity.
- Implement effective strategies for cash management and forecasting.
Financial Policies and Procedures:
- Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures to ensure internal controls and accountability.
- Train and educate staff on financial policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with other departments to provide financial guidance and support for various projects and initiatives.
- Act as a key liaison between the operations team and other departments.
- Administer and manage our contracting process, including developing, processing, tracking and filing service agreements and vendor contracts ensuring appropriate tax documentation is received and completed.
- Support our fiscally sponsored projects in all things operations and financial.
- Lead operational and financial processes for our fiscally sponsored projects.
- Assist management in planning and preparing board meeting packets including filing meeting minutes, drafting resolutions and other board documentation as needed.
- Support the team on grants writing, management and reporting.
Work Hours and Benefits
This position is for a full-time employee, 40 hours per week with availability during our core work hours (8-5pm ET), at 78,500-98,500 USD per year depending on experience. Benefits include health insurance, unlimited PTO, 401(k), generous parental leave, and a monthly tech stipend.
Sound like a good fit?
Please email us at [email protected], including:
- Cover letter
- 1-2 references. References will be taken in the last phase of application review.
- The times you are available for approx 45 minutes to 1 hour for interviews within our working hours (9am to 5pm Eastern Standard Time).
This position is open until filled, and applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Reach out to [email protected] with any questions.
Superbloom is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that systemic bad behaviors disproportionately hurt the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
We are open to candidates located in US Central and Eastern time zones and UK/GMT zones. Final hiring decisions will be contingent upon our ability to contract and pay in the candidate’s country. Superbloom does not provide relocation or visa support.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.